Mac OS X(pronounced 10) is one of the most powerful operating systems present today. Windows Vista(Microsoft’s over-hyped and over-rated operating system) which no longer includes WinFS (Window File System) will be considered my most developers as very poor replica of Mac OS for PCs. Considering the fact that it is going to release in early 2007, we would have certainly expected much more.
So I would suggest you continue using the bland Windows XP with it’s limited features and also it’s pathetic interface. You have three other interesting options too:
1. Buy a Mac
2. Switch to Linux
3. Install Mac on your PC.
Option 3 is the most difficult to achieve as it would test your patience to a certain extent. To make the process simpler, you may follow the guide below. I have tried to make things as simple as possible.
**This guide is meant only for Apple testers and I, in no way, want to infringe any Copyrights. You will have to own a copy of Mac OS Tiger before you proceed.**
Before we proceed, there are some basic requirements for installing Mac OS X on your PC.
1. Processor/Chip- Intel Pentium 4/Pentium D/Core Duo.
2. Windows pre-installed
3. The OS X pheNIX disk image – Marklar-Tiger.dmg or Marklar-Tiger.iso. (Google: pheNIX torrent)
4. Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar from some torrent site.
5. FastSum & WinRAR archiver.
Note: You will need to download UltraISO if you are downloading or have downloaded the .dmg file.
Make sure you follow the “Procedure” step-by-step in order to avoid any mistakes because of which there may be data loss.
*procedure for Marklar-Tiger.dmg:
1. Install UltraISO.
2. Click on the Tools menu.
3. Click on Convert and locate Marklar-Tiger.dmg. Select ISO as the format and hit the Convert/Go button.
1. Using FastSum, check the MD5 Hash of the Marklar-Tiger.iso or the ISO you just created. (Use the FastSum Help to see how.) The Hash should be E78FE52E30A1F8C5B29D4B7932A16C5E. This confirms that the iso file you’re working with is the one required to continue using this guide.
2. If the MD5 Hash matches the one given above, you’ve done well till now.
3. Open Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar using WinRAR and extract all files and folders. For convenience, you may extract it into the folder containing Marklar- Tiger.iso.
4. By now you may already be knowing what to do next. If you don’t, here goes. Run PPF-O-Matic, select Marklar-Tiger.iso as the file to be patched and Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.ppf as the patch. All you’ve got to do now is to patch it.
5. Perform step 1 again. Only this time, the Hash should be 9A5270E693B2148BA685638F05EA76C2. Do not proceed if this doesn’t work out properly.
6. Relax a bit. 60% of the job is done.
7. Burn the ISO onto any DVD-type media(using Nero, Roxio, etc.)
8. Restart your PC and set your boot priorities: DVD Drive, HDD.
Note 2: In this guide we will be using a complete Hard Disk to install Mac. You may use either one of the Hard Disks connected to your computer. I would recommend you use a secondary Hard Disk for installation.
Terms & Conditions: Whatever you do, you must make sure you have a backup of all your data as I would like to make it very clear that: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA AND YOU IN NO WAY CAN SUE ME.
9. Insert the DVD into your DVD Drive and restart your PC.
10. Your computer boots from the DVD when you see the Darwin/x86 boot menu. When you see the menu. Hit ENTER/RETURN.
11. Wait for the OS X Installer to load. When loading is done you will be Welcomed by the Installer. Start the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Use the Disk Utility to erase your Hard Drive and format it as a Mac OS Extended partition. If you’re comfortable with Partitioning, you may select the size of your Mac partition. Else, use the complete HDD.
12. Ignore any warning and proceed further. When partitioning is done, quit the Disk Util.
13. 80% of the job is now done.
14. You may blindly go on clicking Continue till you can’t go any further. Now as always the installation will take more time than the computer’s estimate.
15. The progress bar shows 100%, but it should actually be 90%. After the 30 second countdown your PC restarts. You will have to act quickly and remove the DVD from your drive. You will now be greeted by the Darwin Boot Menu again. To save time, hit Enter twice.
16. Since you’ve well till now, I’ll allow you to finish the rest of the Mac setup yourself, which only includes setting up an account and registering with Apple.com. To skip registration:Alt+Q.
17. 100% done. The latest version of OS X is 10.4.6. The one you’re using here is 10.4.1. Software update wont help you here. (Hint: Maxxuss)
18. Nothing to do. Just for Luck. :)
Some of you are using OS X without buying it. Don’t be pirates. Go buy a Mac.
This article was created on a Mac.