If you thought 2007 was the BIG year of the BIG movies (what with all the three-quels like At World’s End, Rush Hour 3, Shrek the Turd Third and of course, The Bourne Ultimatum), well then, 2008 will be the BIG year of the GIANT movies.
Here’s a list (in no particular order) of movies releasing in ’08, which you just can’t afford to miss:
- The Dark Knight: Batman’s back, and how! If you haven’t already, check out the trailer here, and some other stuff here. Trust me, if the Academy has any sense in it, Heath Ledger’s gonna get atleast a nomination for his role.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Shia LaBeouf (Transformers) joins Harrison Ford in the fourth instalment of the hit franchise. Get set for another swashbuckling act by Ford and picture perfect direction by Spielberg!
- John Rambo: Last year (I think it was last year only), he did it with Rocky, and in 2008, it’s gonna be Rambo. Sly Stal is back, meaner (and gorier) than ever, back again to save the day. Watch the trailer here:
If the trailer’s anything to go by, gore lovers are gonna have a fun time watching this one…
- Bond 22: Thanks to the WGA strike, a dark cloud hangs over its release date, though producers are adamant that it’ll be sometime in November, ’08. It doesn’t have a name as yet (though Ain’t It Cool News speculates that it could be simply 007), but hell, I’d give anything to watch Craig’s second outing as Bond, even if it’s called Smelliest Pile of Bullshit.
- The Mummy:Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: No more Arnold Vosloo as Imhotep. This time, the O’Connells head East, to the Himalayas and China, in search of the Dragon Emperor (Jet Li). Rob Cohen (xXx, The Fast and the Furious) takes over the reins from Stephen Sommers, while Maria Bello replaces Rachel Weisz as Evelyn O’Connell (boo hoo!).
- Sweeney Todd:The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: Releasing on 21 December in the US, indications are that IF it releases in India, it’ll be sometime in ’08. Anyway, watch this big screen adaptation of the musical by Stephen Sondheim for Tim Burton’s (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands, Batman) macabre direction, and Johnny Depp’s acting (and singing).
- The Chronicles of Narnia:Prince Caspian: Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek II, Chronicles of Narnia:The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) returns as director, while Liam Neeson (Schindler’s List, Chronicles of Narnia:The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) reprises his role as Aslan in this adpatation of the popular C.S. Lewis novel. Expect fireworks, like last time!
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Need I say anything more? Though, I just hope it isn’t as bad as the last one!
- Iron Man: Another comic book adaptaion. By the looks of the trailer, it’s the usual slam-bam stuff.
- Hellboy 2:The Golden Army: Yet another comic book adaptation. This time, from Oscar nominee, Guillermo Del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth).
These are just some of the movies, that I could think of off-hand. I’m sure, there are some other equally big/huge/giant movies that I’ve missed!
Ah, now I have it! I missed the following two movies:
- The Brazilian Job: Charlize Theron, Mark Wahlberg and the rest of the gang returns in this sequel to the box office smash, The Italian Job. Just hope it’s as intelligent as the last one!
- The Incredible Hulk: Louis Leterrier (Transporter, Transporter 2) takes over from Ang Lee, and Edward Norton replaces Eric Bana as Bruce Banner.