The International DB2 Users Group (IDUG) is holding a global competition – open-for-all developers whether they be students or professionals – to promote the use of XML-based technologies based on DB2. The IDUG contest has multiple categories under which you can participate…and the best thing is that you can participate in multiple events! The ‘component’ events are (from the XML Challenge site itself):
- Video Contest: Invent a creative use of XML and make a video of your efforts.
- Gadget Contest: Develop a downloadable gadget or widget.
- Query Contest: Use XQuery to find five answers. The best queries to find the requisite answers win.
- Ported App Contest: Port or develop a new app for DB2. In this event, you can participate as an individual or as a team.
- XML Contest: Building a useful, user-friendly XML app from scratch. Again, you can participate alone or in a team.
The last two events will be judged by judges, while the first two will be judged by the community. (Of course, for the third one it’s the resuts your query generates which counts.) It won’t hurt to try even if you’re a beginner with these technologies. They’ve compiled a massive list of XML resources too for prospective participants, which should be more than enough to get anyone started. (There are also some nice ebooks and software which you can retain for future use.) You can learn more about the XML Challenge here or get started by reading the contest rules.