Realin and Shantanu Goel pointed out that Dreamhost is giving away free full hosting accounts for a duration of two years because Yahoo! GeoCities is shutting down. Dreamhost will be giving away 1000 free accounts for those who are currently on GeoCities. These free accounts aren’t the crippled Dreamhost Apps accounts which they’re giving away free in beta period – they’re full-fledged accounts worth approximately $215! Only existing Yahoo! GeoCities users can participate since they aren’t accepting new users. If you do have a GeoCities account, I suggest you sign up ASAP before the promotion runs out. (Details available in the above links.)
I signed up for one. But if you aren’t a current GeoCities customer or the promotion end before you can sign up for an account, don’t worry! Since I don’t really need a new hosting account right now, I thought of coming up with a contest for giving it away. This contest is for Twitter users so if you don’t have an account there already, sign up for Twitter! Here’s what you need to do to win free Dreamhost webhosting for two years:
- Follow me on Twitter (if you aren’t already).
- Tweet the following message from your account, exactly as it’s given here: Tweet and win free web hosting! Visit http://tr.im/ankurbcontest for more details.
- Leave a comment on this blog post. Your comment should have the following bits
- Link to the tweet from your account containing the message I mentioned above. This will be used to verify whether you’re following me, and have tweeted the message. You can get this direct link to your tweet by clicking on the ‘about X minutes / X hours ago’ text beneath your tweet.
- This is the important bit – a pun or a PJ. Yes, you need to leave a pun or a PJ after your Twitter status update link. It could be on anything at all. Please ensure that whatever PJ / pun you’re leaving shouldn’t be one which has been left in a comment by some other person already. Any joke won’t do. It has to be a PJ or a pun.
- The person whose pun / PJ makes me laugh out loudest and / or longest, wins. The winner will be handed over the account details in grand ceremony that nobody – including the winner – will be able to attend. Note that hosting account does not come with a domain name – you’ll need to get one on your own (existing / new).
- Contest closes at 2359 hours on 16th May 2009.
Some people might claim that the selection process for deciding the winner is ‘not random’ – and those would probably be people who don’t know me at all. I can – literally – be ROFLing at ‘jokes’ sane people wouldn’t even consider jokes, so rest assured that my selection process is more random than a game of Russian roulette.
Thou shalt respect my authoritah. It’s my contest, so I have the authoritah to do whateva I waunt. Decision on who the winners rests on me and will be final and binding on all participants. Contest can be cancelled at any point in time for any reason whatsoever by me – and you can’t do anything about it.
Let’s get started with this contest then!
PS – Goodbye, Yahoo! GeoCities. [sniff sniff] You were the first home for so many of us early-adopters’ websites. Comes close on the heels of Google Pages shutting down. Google Pages shutting down is sure to cause a lot of heartburn to those on Blogger, as many Blogger templates host their CSS files on Google Pages accounts. Google allows shifting to Google Sites, but custom CSS files aren’t among the stuff which they’re allowing people to shift.
PPS – You can enter the contest multiple times if you want. Just tweet again, and leave a new joke.