One more album to fill my HD up with, thanks to Prashanth. Maybe he’ll get a GQB award this year for Most Reliable Download and Data Storage Center. This time, it’s Avril Lavigne’s album The Best Damn Thing, released this year in April.
Trivia Trove 1 – Avril means ‘April’ in French.
Trivia Trove 2 – Deryck Whilbey, Avril Lavigne’s husband co-produced this album, along with others like Pink.
After a much-disappointing Linkin Park performance in Minutes To Midnight, this one was a good respite. The actual track reviews were written a few days ago when I’d come back after a day out, so I was pretty tired to type out comments on some of the tracks below, and feel too lazy to do so now. However, I do have my track ratings here.
- Girlfriend (5 / 5): Nice track to start with, unlike some other albums I’ve heard recently. This song was the first to be released, and made it to the top of the charts in the US.
- I Can Do Better (4.2 / 5): Hey, she’s right. She CAN do better. Why make a song which gets a 42 x 10^-1 rating? Jokes apart, I might have given this a higher rating, but I thought the rating would complement the title. ;) The irritating bit? The giggles!
- Runaway (4.4 / 5): Slow intro, which almost made me give this a low rating, and then the good bit kicked in and I wanted to give it a higher one, and just then it got slow again…oh forget it. Anyway, I hated the slow bits which interspersed an otherwise good song.
- The Best Damn Thing (4.1 / 5): For an album titled such, I’d expected this song to be the best. But it wasn’t to be. Ironic, the title and my rating, isn’t it?
- When You’re Gone (3 / 5)
- Everything Back But You (3.8 / 5): Gets a lower score because the intro wasn’t that good; however it picks up pace later and redeems the song.
- Hot (4.5 / 5)
- Innocence (5 / 5): This one was so good!
- I Don’t Have To Try (4.5 / 5): DON’T play this on a speaker in front of your parents – it uses MF at least 5-6 times.
- One Of Those Girls (4.6 / 5)
- Contagious (3.9 / 5): The last bit reminded me of one of my fave ads, but damn, I can’t recall the brand.
- Keep Holding On (2.9 / 5): (Comparatively) monotonous lyrics.
- I Will Be (3.7 / 5): It was pretty standard all through, until the last minute which was good. It was a pretty nice song otherwise.
- Alone (5 / 5): Note that this is a bonus track released only in the deluxe version of the album.
Headphones-On Warning! Do heed the my advice and use headphones – some of these tracks can’t be played at full volume. Although it’s not the SoaD type ‘language issue’ which you might have with parents, it’s better to be safe in case your parents are conservative. MF is used quite a few times in some of the songs (and I don’t mean old bearded Indian exiled painters over here).
On the whole, this one was a major improvement over LP which I heard a few days ago, which might explain the high ratings, or maybe I really DID like them. Overall, I’d say this is much better off than Linkin Park. Note to self – watch out for Lindsay Lohan’s new album – she’s gonna start work on it in July (IF and WHEN she gets out of rehab / police custody), and would be out six months after that. Note to self 2 – need to get Hilary Duff’s new album too.
Oh, and why so many music reviews suddenly? Well, I’ve this list of posts to do which is around 42 ideas, and I was sorta getting bored of the topics which I take up to blog about generally, which include tech, Tech, tEch, teCh, TecH and tecH. Er, did I mention tECh?